December 14, 2008

A pleasant summery memory for our day of snow


1999 - Let's Start A Family 7"
Sub Pop Singles Club June


I was never in the Sub Pop Singles Club. I have moved too often for such things. I did however, get onto the Sub Pop website back in spring of 2002 and order myself a copy of the vinyl reissue of Mudhoney's 'Superfuzz Bigmuff'. I'm from Washington state and that record is like mother's milk to me, so... I can't help myself.
I had really enjoyed the Bonnie Billy album 'Ease On Down The Road'. I should do a blog for that one. It's the dirtiest little lullabye of a record you're likely to hear.
Sorry. I'll stop with the tangents.
So...Sub Pop website. While perusing the website I saw this seven inch for sale. I figured it was worth dropping a few extra bucks to hear it.
I had moved out to Beaverton (which ended up sucking crazy amounts of ass) to live alone in a one-bedroom apartment. However, that first couple months was a pleasant summer retreat from the everyone-ness of living in Portland. I kinda forgot about ordering it. Not that it took an incredibly long time or anything. The day this showed up was a pleasant surprise upon returning from an early day of working. It's always nice to get something that isn't a bill from the postman. The songs are perfectly summery, mellow, and calm and always bring me back to sitting on my second floor back patio in that apartment, smoking a cigarette in an anonymous, cookie-cutter apartment complex in the burbs. No one around. Just me and my records. A pile of books to read, and a new (used) leather armchair. I didn't run into anyone I knew when I went out to buy groceries. Ever. It was ecstatic and cathartic. Immediately, the sound of these two songs became the anthem for that little slice of time.

2 comments:

  1. 1999 - Let's Start A Family 7"
    http://www.badongo.com/file/12490002

    ReplyDelete
  2. sometimes i fantasize about living alone but i don't think i could do it.

    ReplyDelete