December 15, 2008

Of Pirate Radio, Gamera and Treats From the Sky...


2008 - Sorority Radio

This last summer/autumn I tried a little experiment from out of my room in the eyes of the Sorority House. I set up my linux computer to run as a server so that I could broadcast a free internet feed.
Who hasn't wanted to run their own pirate radio station? I certainly did!
This experiment had several false starts as I struggled to teach myself what I was doing with setting up all of the necessary software in a linux environment, but eventually I got the thing up and running.
I broadcast at my leisure, so I was never going to have a lot of people listening, but it was a fun thing to give to my friends, so they could kind of listen in to whatever thing I decided to play for them. My friend Bonnie in Seattle, and my friend Jason in Seoul were both regular listeners. This in turn kept me doing more and more regular broadcasts. I had other listeners, sometimes several at a time, but I have no idea who they were or what they thought.
Well, all good things must do their thing, and the linux box basically ate shit. It was a gnarly hardware issue, and was cause to have to build a new, lesser computer starting over from other parts I had lying around.
I managed to cobble a sad thing together that works, but it is saaaaad, and cannot handle running the server and the broadcasting software at the same time. So, for now there is no more Sorority Radio.
At one point however, I did record a transmission. Part of one anyway. So here it is if you want to listen. Can't tell you what to expect, except that it is something that I would really love. :) I can tell you it was the night of October 8th 2008.

1 comment:

  1. October 2008 - Sorority Radio
    http://www.zshare.net/download/5280924321854a4f/

    ReplyDelete