December 21, 2008

oh sweet starjob...


1997 - Star Job EP


I love this record... SO much. This is Chicago area freak cult band the Frogs, all dressed up for a hot, slick rock show.
Gone(!) are the trademark, ultra lo-fi jabs. In with the ultra-slick production and rock wild guitar heroics!!
The Frogs do not let go of their urges to make broad, infantile and intentionally wildly offensive jabs at everything in their path though, for which, I thank them.This is a crystal perfect beheading of the era of the rock star, written in the language of big ROCK.
The album is produced by Billy Corgan under the pseudonym 'Billy Goat' and certainly features some of his guitar playing. Probably a lot actually.
But wait.. isn't Billy Corgan a HUGE rock star?
yes. yes he is.
The Frogs gladly handjob him right onto the record with commendable shamelessness and even drop his name with a wink wink nudge nudge.
Did I mention I love this record?God damn. Yes I do.
It might not even be my favorite Frogs record though...
I dunno.

(A really nice thing that you could do is buy this album (plus TEN bonus tracks!) directly from the band!)


I love it so much that shortly before I left Tea For Julie, I played in a Frogs tribute band. Not just a Frogs tribute, we were a tribute to specifically this EP. We called ourselves 'Starjob'. What else?
I was playing bass and keyboards. Michael from TFJ was on guitar and vocals. Kenny Erlick was playing guitar as well, and our friend Flapjack who formerly drummed for Icanlickanysonofabitchinthehouse was behind the kit. Practice consisted of... well... mostly it was an excuse to drink retarded amounts of tequila and smash our way through a cover of the EP. We did these practices... six, maybe seven times(?) and I did all kinds of wild damage to the physical structure of my bass and found out that the two ten Ampeg cabinet I have actually lights up if you push it too far into feedback! Who knew?! When I quit TFJ I pretty much quit this band by default, but we were gonna be awesome man...
totally rad...

1 comment:

  1. 1997 - Starjob
    http://www.badongo.com/file/12593351

    ReplyDelete