February 9, 2009

Bringing It All Back Home Part 1: The Fumes

Growing up where and when I did had a severe impact on who I am as a person as it does for, I think, most people.
In the early nineties something was going on in Spokane, WA. People were forming bands. Bands that were good enough to leave Spokane and play in other cities. Punk bands. Goofy grunge bands. Ska bands. "Sk-runge" bands. Not only that, but kids were forming bands. Kids my own age. I think I noticed this phenomenon first when I was around 14 or 15 years old. This was a huge revelation for me.
The Fumes weren't the first local band I saw live, but they may have been my favorite. Really, even now the Fumes sound amazing. Totally tight, blistering punk rock. Awesome. I rocked my young ass off many many times at Fumes shows.
It's worth noting that the singer Dee owned the only really cool record store in Spokane other than 4000 Holes (and little nell's). A little tiny shop downtown called "Vinyl Garage". Dee sold me lots of riot grrl music. He had great taste. Thanks man.




1990 - Ways To Enjoy Life 7"

Side A - Ways To Enjoy Life
Bent
Side B - Genie
Steel Belted




1993 - Tossin' Plates And Forks 7"

Side A - Something Else
Past Out
Side B - Something
Gun In Your Face




1994 (?) - Shucking Shells 7"

Side A - Shucking Shells
Soil
Sister
Side B - Repeats Side A

1 comment:

  1. The Fumes - Ways To Enjoy Life 7"
    http://www.badongo.com/file/13317949

    The Fumes - Tossin' Plates And Forks 7"
    http://www.badongo.com/file/13317996

    The Fumes - Shucking Shells 7"
    http://www.badongo.com/file/13317963

    ReplyDelete